This bone china commemorative plate was made by J & J Walters of Coalville in 1983. It was produced to celebrate 150 years of the Snibston mine, and carries a picture of the 'Stephenson' shaft headgear.
The Stephenson shaft was opened in 1915 to increase coal production during the First World War. After 1964, this shaft was used only to move waste stone and equipment in and out of the mine.
The shaft was nicknamed after the colliery's founder George Stephenson, who with his brother Robert, brought mining to Snibston in 1833.