A brown leather briefcase with a lockable hasp and two buckle straps. It is embossed in gold lettering N.U.M; D.2. and dates from 1947 to 1960.
This briefcase was owned by a National Union of Mineworkers representative. It was used to carry papers for area committee meetings or for talks with the management at a local branch level. Meetings were held to highlight problems to the management, and discuss matters relating to every aspect of the men's life at the pit.
The N.U.M was an industrial union that represented all mineworkers above and below ground. It was established on the 1st January 1945 when the Miners Federation of Great Britain changed its constitution and became a national union.