Bethlen Castle or Magna Curia Castle has a personality that imposes respect through its architectural and stylistic elements, of Renaissance and Baroque influence.
The documents show that a first stage of construction can be dated at the end of the 16th Century, being related to the person of Francisc Geszthy, supreme captain of the Transylvanian army between 1594 and 1595 (inf. dr. Iosif Vasile Ferencz, Museum in Deva. Arch over time, p. 80, Cluj–Napoca,).
Multiple modifications were brought to the building by its many owners, the best known being the Prince of Transylvania, Gabriel Bethlen and then the Governor of Transylvania, Ioan Haller. Magna Curia was the main piece from an architectural ensemble which was used as a residence and administrative headquarters by all those who owned the domain of the Deva fortress ( inf. dr.Ionuț Codrea, Magna Curia. Study of architecture, in Corviniana. Acta Musei Corvinensis , XIII, 2009, p. 263)
What impresses is the facade of the building, with baroque frames and windowsills, with the balcony supported by “atlases”, with its specific elements such as the external staircase from the park or the rezalit. In the so–called "Chimney Hall",where it can be admired the Blazons of Haller and Daniel families, the union between John and Sofia (lions and the swan with an arrow on its neck) are the symbol of the Phoenix bird. (inf. dr.Daniel Iancu)