Museum of Vojvodina

Muzej Vojvodine

More than a century and a half had passed when The Museum of the Serbian National Collection was established at the session of Matica Srpska held in October 1847 in Budapest. The Museum of Vojvodina continues its tradition today. Sava Tekelija left his rich legacy to Matica srpska out of which the first museum collection was formed. The Museum of Matica Srpska was opened to the public for the first time in 1933. After World War II, a part of material was singled out, and in 1947 the Museum of Vojvodina was established, as a complex museum, with numerous collections from archaeology, ethnology, history, art history, yoology, botany, geology-palaeontology and mineralogy-petrography. The following institution for the protection of culture and nature were formed under the auspices of the Museum of Vojvodina: The Museum of Labour Movement and National Revolution, The City Museum of Novi Sad, The provincial Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments, The Provincial Institute for the Protection of Nature, The Theatre and Agricultural Museum of Vojvodina. The Museum of Labour Movement and National Revolution was established in 1956 and later transformed first into the Museum of the Socialistic Revolution, and then, into the Museum of the Socialistic Revolution, and then, into The Historical Museum of Vojvodina. It is located in specifically constructed building, which was designed by architect Ivo Vitić in 1959. In 1992 the Museum of Vojvodina joined the Historical Museum of Vojvodina to become the unique institution called The Museum of Vojvodina.

Today, this institution consists of many branches, and has a rich museum collection of around 400,000 pieces and a library collection of over 50,000 publications. A regular museum publication called The Work of The Museum of Vojvodina, originally called The Work of Vojvodian Museums, was published since 1952 until 1994. The Museum of Vojvodina acquired the appropriate facilities in 1974 when it moved into the former justice court, built in 1896 by the Budapest architect Gyula Wagner.

Text source:
Foto source:

Exhibitions and events

Stara gradska ulica

Permanent exhibition

U okviru Stalne postavke Muzeja Vojvodine predstavljena je jedna vojvođanska gradska ulica u prvim decenijama XX veka. Ona se hronološki nadovezuje na deo Postavke koji se odnosi na privrednu...

Educational programs

We don't have anything to show you here.


We don't have anything to show you here.

Suggested Content