Discover more about Woodhorn Museum’s industrial heritage on these guided tours of our historic colliery site.
Explore the colliery buildings and learn more about how Woodhorn Colliery operated during its working life.
Climb up to the winding room of the last Victorian engine house in Northumberland and see a demonstration of the winding gear (only available on these guided tours!).
We’re always interested in hearing your stories too, so come along & share your own knowledge about our coalmining past.
Dig Deeper! Useful Information
- Please meet at the museum Welcome Desk at least 5 minutes before the tour is due to start
- Tours last approximately 30 minutes
- Tour numbers are limited to 12 per session on a first come first served basis
- Tours are free, but as a charity, we welcome your support and have a suggested donation of £2 per person
- This tour takes place in heritage colliery buildings and although it is suitable for children & adults, we do ask that visitors take care and that children are supervised at all times.
- Access to the winding gear demonstration part of this tour involves climbing steep stairs. We apologise for any inconvenience this causes, and those unable to climb stairs are welcome to observe the winding gear turning from the lower level of the winding house.
If you would like to have a chat about whether this tour is suitable for you or your family/group members, please ask a member of staff or contact us on 01670 624455 or by e-mailing email@example.com
If you would prefer to book a private and/or bespoke tour of the museum, please get in touch on 01670 624455 or by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Free but donations are welcome.
Woodhorn Museum presents its first open art exhibition, OPEN: OCEAN. Housed...
Discover the little known story of William Smith, a carpenter’s son from Seaton...
BEAM REACH BLASTING chronicles life aboard the Oosterschelde, a three-masted...
We don't have anything to show you here.