Historical permanent exhibition of the City Museum of Zenica is consisted of three collections:
1. Three-dimensional objects collection,
2. Photographs collection and
3. Documents collection.
Total inventory has about 1000 units (specimens of cold and firearms, replicas of military uniforms, posters, individual documents and writings, photographs) which chronological framework dates from the end of the 18th century to the late 20thcentury.
Given the fact that inventory books of the collection were destroyed during the period 1992-2005 and that on several occasions the material that belonged to the collection was shifted to different locations in the city, the final stage of revision and re-inventorying the remaining material is in progress.
The collection was formed in 1966 as a part of the County museum collection and the first permanent historical and ethnographic exhibition was set up in the spring of 1967 in Zenica Synagogue.
After that, a permanent historical exhibition was set up in the late seventies, on the ground floor of the Synagogue. Authors of this first permanent exhibition were PhD Anton Bauer from Zagreb and Colonel Idriz Cejvan from Belgrade. Then permanent exhibition had focus on the period of the 20th century, especially the period of The National Liberation Struggle (1941-1945).
The former leaders of the historical collection (1979-1998) were the curators prof.Husein Serdarević prof.Božo Jokanović and mr.sc.Salih Jalimam.
New permanent historical exhibition was officially opened on the 6th of September in 2007, and chronologically covers the period from the second half of the 15th century to the early 80s of the 20th century.
The authors of this permanent exhibition were: Ikbal Cogo, curator, Mirsad Avdić, senior curator and retired professor Husejin Serdarević.
According to the principles of modern museology and based on systematic monitoring of visits to our institution, in early October 2011, the process of permanent historical exhibition redesigning was finished. These changes were made by Ikbal Cogo, senior curator.